- Shaun Moore Design's 'SafeSets' training company provides courses in :
• core skills for Art Department Trainees
• skills refresh for the more experienced
- Core skills course content [i]
• location survey; interior or exterior
• brief and/or script analysis
• design of a (small) set
< SafeSets delegates hard at work at Ealing Studios
- Core skills course content [ii]
• Drawing up the set for TV (metric) or film (imperial)
• Detailing, at appropriate scales
• White model and/ or accurate perspective/ visual
< Tech.drawing/ floor plan/ Newsroom
- The course includes discussions to highlight:
• Health and Safety issues, both general and project specific, insurance and liability
• Risk assessment
• Budget issues, dealing with project costs, and relative costings
• Choice of materials relative to function, budget, maintenance etc
• Scenery handling, and storage
• Props, hire and management, loss and damage
< White model from plans and elevations
Objectives of the course
• Introduce or reinforce core skills of the art dept.assistant/ designer
• Illustrate (to new entrants) the broad scope of the designer's role
• Illustrate the art department's role in the context of the production
• Raise candidates' awareness of their responsibilities, and liabilities
• Assist in rendering the candidate more employable!
< Accurate perspective drawing / visual
- Training clients include individual designers and small groups from:
ft2 - www.ft2.org.uk
Skillset - www.skillset.org
Scottish Screen - www.scotishscreen.com
Screen Yorkshire - www.ymtc.co.uk
South East wales TEC
Educational Broadcasting System Korea
Skillset Careers - www.skillset.org/careers/
< Design detail reference for scenic artist cyclorama gauze painting
Training led by Shaun Moore MPhil BArch DipArch NVQ Assessor RTS Design Award
Shaun Moore has been teaching for over 20 years, in design for film and television, construction methods, and
architecture whilst working throughout as a design practictioner.
Founder and Director of SafeSets training.
NVQ D32 Assessor qualification, Skillset
Training for Trainers, Skillset, at NFTS Beaconsfield
Devised and taught 'Design for Film and Television' at Chelsea College of Fine Arts, London.
Taught BBC Design Department Induction Courses.
Visiting Professor of Architecture, Kansas State University, USA.
Tutor, Oxford School of Architecture, Oxford, England, while completing post-graduate studies.